Laying the foundations for the all-IP world
The past 12 months have been unusual to say the least. There has been change and adaptation but the industry rallied to support each other and now we are looking forward to what lies ahead.
That includes the 2025 PSTN switch-off. We understand it’s a sizeable technological switch and we – alongside wider BT brands – have made educating the industry the priority. From videos and webinars, to email and flyers, we are lessening the burden of change by increasing awareness and developing solutions that are easy to install.
Educating the industry about the move to all-IP
Throughout the past 12 months, we’ve delivered an ongoing educational campaign focusing on the move to all-IP.
As part of the campaign, we delivered a webinar to installers, insurers and ARCs, to explore the transition and how it is acting to make the transition seamless. An in-webinar survey produced some telling stats:
- When asked if they were aware of the switchover: 24% of respondents said they were very aware, 68% were aware but wanted to hear more information, while 8% did not know about it.
- When asked how prepared they and their businesses were to manage upcoming changes for the switchover: 14% said they were fully prepared and raring to go. 61% said they were underway but still had some work to do. While 24% said there was lots of work to be done.
- Finally, when asked when they anticipate beginning their switchover preparation: 35% said immediately, 60% said in the near future, 3% next year and 2% in a few years’ time.
There’s clearly work to do and collaborating with installers and ARCS, we have conducted initiatives to help educate end-customers. For instance, producing joint branded flyers explaining the changes and why they need to act to ensure their alarm security will work in the all-IP world.
Digitally, we have produced short educational videos for installers and their end customers that can be easily shared (watch them here, here and here), we are active on social media around the topic, are in regular engagement with partners and have a dedicated web page.
Bolstering the Next Generation Redcare portfolio
We’ve also acted to ensure our portfolio makes the switch effortless too.
Take our Essential-IP, for example. Launched in January 2021 across the UK, it’s an all-new SP2, all-IP alarm signalling solution that future-proofs alarm systems, offering greater protection through ensuring ARCs are notified of path faults within 60 minutes, much quicker than older dial up PSTN signalling systems.
Other benefits include:
- Connection to the customer’s network via ethernet or wi-fi, meaning it is a hassle-free option for installers and ideal in areas with poor mobile coverage.
- Eight standard alarm channels and dial capture on-board.
- Possesses common serial connection capabilities – RS232 and RS485 – meaning it is compatible with a range of alarm panels.
Importantly, compatibility with older panels means customers do not have to purchase, and installers don’t need to fit – entirely new systems to ensure future-proofed, all-IP protection.
Ease for installers is particularly crucial as they are the party most burdened with the changes stemming from the switch-off, so we’ve developed affordable solutions that can be installed simply.
In fact, Essential IP has been so well-received that it has been nominated in the ‘Intruder Alarm Product of the Year’ category in the PSI Awards and in the Benchmark Innovation Awards in the ‘Site Protection’ category You can vote for us in the ‘Intruder Alarm product of the Year’ category here.
We are committed to helping the industry through the transition to all-IP. So if you’d like to set up a chat about the 2025 switch off, Essential IP, or the other products in our portfolio, you can email firstname.lastname@example.org or contact your regional account manager or ARC.